Thursday, February 26, 2015

Little Miss Grace Jensen

What better time is there to recount this little ones birth story than on my last day in the hospital while I still have grandma spoiling Blake with attention, little Grace is sleeping peacefully next to me, and it is all still very fresh.

Grandma flew into town on Monday afternoon in preparation for my scheduled induction on Tuesday morning. A few weeks prior, I had progressed from a 1 to a 3 in just a weeks time and so the doctor was thinking I wouldn't make it to my induction date. This kept us on our toes, but I kept praying that no matter what happens, her arrival wouldn't be too tramautic for Blake. All my prayers were answered.

On Tuesday morning I woke up to Blake telling us he was awake at 5:45. He is an early riser, but normally I tell him to keep sleeping until 6:00. This morning though I just brought him into our bed and cuddled him for a few minutes. I told him today was really special because his little sister was finally ready to come out. I asked him if he was ready to meet her and he said 'sure!'.

I was feeling really on edge this morning. I just had so much anxiety running through me, so much so that I was a little snappy when Matt asked me some questions. So I took a few moments and read my scriptures and Matt and I said a prayer together. This helped bring some comfort to me.

I then took my time and showered and got ready while my mom made some delicious whole wheat waffles with strawberries and whip cream for breakfast. After breakfast we had family scripture study and then Matt gave me a very beautiful priesthood blessing. This blessing really chased away all my anxieties and I felt very peaceful and confident that the day would go well.

Blake was thrilled to be with grandma and didn't cry or seem sad at all when Matt and I left to the hospital. I really think he understood that we were going to get the baby out of my tummy.

On the way to the hospital I made sure to drink lots of water and eat a yoghurt. I was so starving and thirsty during my labor with Blake. I didn't want a repeat. We arrived at the hospital at 8:00 am on Tuesday, February 24th, and checked in. They took us straight to our labor and delivery room. It was huge and beautiful. I changed into the hospital gown and then they checked me to see if I had progressed from a week before. I was still dilated to about a 4 but I was now 70% effaced instead of 50%. 

At 9:00 my nurse, Sandy (who we LOVED), started me on pitocin at 4 milliunits/min.

Around this time my mom and Blake arrived to visit with us. Blake had so much fun exploring my room and having so much attention from all of us. He hung out with us in the room most the day except for when my water broke and when I was pushing. I loved having him there and he loved being there. 

At 10:00 my pitocin was bumped up at 6 milliunits/ min.

At 10:30 Dr. Cullen (another doctor from the group) broke my water. 

My contractions started to get a lot more uncomfortable and painful so at 11:05 I requested my epidural. The anesthesiologist came in about 11:10 and by 11:25 I was all hooked up to the epidural. I noticed at this time my pitocin level was at 8 milliunits/min. I was very grateful I got my epidural when I did. While I was receiving the epidural and waiting for the medicine to take effect I had some very painful contractions. The medicine initially hit my left side quicker than my right, leaving a pocket of pain on my right groin area. They gave me a little bit more of the epidural medicine and that pain went away for the most part.

At noon the nurse checked me, I was dilated to a 5, and she inserted my catheter. This is when things got a little too exciting/scary. Within 5 minutes I started to feel super nauseous and hot. The nurse got me a damp towel and my mom came over to catch any throw up. Then without any warning 6-8 nurses, doctors, and the anesthesiologist rushed into the room. My pitocin was immediately shut off, oxygen was put on my face, and a really painful shot (to stop my contractions) was put in my back. I really didn't have a clue what was happening other than the fact that I was extremely nauseous and my body was heating up so fast. I quickly learned though that within those 10
minutes my body progressed from a 5 to a 7 and it was under a lot of stress from having contraction upon contraction. My blood pressure had plummeted to very low levels and our baby's heart beat dropped very low. I'm so grateful they were so quick to respond and were able to essentially put a pause on my labor, avoiding an emergency c-section. 

For the next hour or two I just rested. My contractions pretty much stopped and it was nice to regain my strength and energy. At 1:15 they started the pitocin at a 2 but my contractions stayed really mild. I took a nap during this time. Matt also napped on the couch and Blake was locked into a Mickey Mouse episode. My mom said it was peaceful just listening to the baby's heart beat. A little later Blake sat with me on the bed and we played with some stickers. He put some on my hands which stayed with me during labor.

At 3:30 they were ready to get things moving again and so they turned my pitocin up to a 6. The contractions started up again but I was very comfortable and occasionally felt that they were accompanied by some downward pressure. At 3:45 I told the nurse that and she said she would talk to my doctor and see when they wanted to check me next.

At 4:00 I noticed that every contraction I was having was accompanied by that downward pressure. It wasn't uncomfortable at all though so I didn't think a ton of it, other than telling my mom. At 4:10 my mom left to take Blake on a walk and she said she would tell the nurse I was feeling that pressure. Once she left I asked Matt to look down there to see if he could see anything, but he really didn't know where to look and didn't see anything. 

The nurse came in a few minutes later and got ready to check my cervix. A contraction came right as I opened my legs and she said, 'Matt!! There is the head!!' She quickly called the doctor and Matt called my mom to tell her we were having a baby in just a few minutes. My mom kept Blake occupied in the waiting room during this time. 

We were all laughing at how quickly this was happening when the nurse gave me orders not to laugh or else the baby really might just slip out! Thank you Blake and your big head for paving the way. :) 

The doctor (Dr. Thomas, my normal doctor) rushed in and quickly started putting on her protective eye wear and gloves when she looked over at me and jumped over to catch the baby's head. Within 3 or 4 pushes she was born (right at 4:30 pm) and placed immediately on my chest while Matt cut the cord and I delivered the placenta. 

It was such a special moment to have my baby girl on my chest. She started to cry for a minute (which is great- new babies are supposed to let out a cry) but once our skin touched her cries stopped and she was so peaceful. It was such a heavenly time. I quietly sang and hummed to her 'I am a Child of God' and 'I Know That My Savior Loves Me,' two songs she has heard me sing to Blake many times. I was overwhelmed with so much love for this little girl. 

After about 30 minutes, Matt carried her over to the nurse to be weighed and measured. She weighed 7 lbs 9 oz and was 20 inches long. 

My mom and Blake then came into the room and enjoyed meeting her. We then spent the next hour bonding with her and figuring out what we were going to name her. We had a list of about 12 names we liked and slowly narrowed it down until we decided she was our Grace. It fits her perfectly. We are all so in love with little Gracie and are so grateful that all went well with her arrival. 

Here is now our Grace's birth day story in pictures.

                                       










                                           


                                                  








4 comments:

  1. Congratulaions! She is beautiful!!! You are such an amazing example to me, I hope I'm half the mother you are! And you look so amazing in all of these pictures! You've got the most beautiful little family, and I love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading this! Congrats and Brad and I both commented on how we love the name Grace!.. My favorite pics are Blake holding his baby sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so beautiful! thanks for sharing! I don't know how your hair looks so perfect just after giving birth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading birth stories! So great that you have this documented. She is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete