When I explained to my mom that I hadn’t been feeling him
move as frequently, she suggested I call the doctor. This got me worried. I
didn’t realize it would be something I would need to call the doctor for! So I
called my doctors office and they told me a nurse would call me in 30-45
minutes. An hour later a nurse calls me back and instructs me to eat a candy
bar and then sit still for an hour and count his movements. If I didn’t feel
him move 5-10 times in that hour, I needed to go straight to labor and
delivery.
The words ‘labor and delivery’ were something I was definitely
not ready to hear. Yes, I am almost 31 weeks but I am still in denial about the
whole labor process. I love being pregnant and I can’t wait to be a mom, but I
am not yet thinking about how this baby is going to get here. Okay, that’s a
huge lie. I think about it all the time and it completely scares me to death,
so I try not to think about it. Anyways, those words were too serious for me! I
just wanted her to ask me to come in so that we could listen to the heartbeat…
Right after I got off the phone I called Matt, in a bit of
hysterics, and asked him to bring me a candy bar. Then on second thought I
asked him to actually just get a chocolate frosted donut with sprinkles on top
from Krispy Kreme (my recent obsession).
I ate the donut and then sat still and what do you know,
sugar did the trick. Within 10 minutes I felt him move four times. I needed to
get that fifth movement though, so I ate a fruit roll up and then he moved some
more. Our boy definitely likes his sugar.
I was so relieved to feel him move!!! I think because he is
getting bigger, he has less room to move and so his movements are less distinct
than they used to be... I am not really sure.
I am so grateful for our little boy and for each and every
one of his movements that confirms to me he is doing okay.
Although this story may feel anti-climactic, it certainly ended
the way I hoped it would. I think it also was a good stepping stone for me to
start realizing that one day (relatively soon) I will be going to labor and
delivery and that I better comes to terms with it. I can’t believe how fast my
pregnancy has and continues to go by! Before I know it, we will be bringing
little our little boy home from the hospital. (That’s the part I like to think
about… I can’t wait!!)
That is kinda scary! haha but now you have a perfect excuse to eat those chocolate covered donuts! : )
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see you in a few days
haha there is ALWAYS something to worry about, huh? I was like you, just enjoying being pregnant and not worrying about anything, until they made me go to labor and delivery to be monitored! Definitely a reality check I didn't want.
ReplyDeleteWhen I get worried she isn't moving much I guzzle some water and lay on my left side (like my dr said) and she always goes nuts. I get 10 movements in 5 mins then stop counting haha
I was in denial about labor until I went into labor... :) I remember this feeling of worry when I was pregnant with Lanae... Thanks for sharing your story!
ReplyDelete