A few months ago I came across a blog of an inspiring mormon who lives in NYC. She posted about how she takes on a 30 day read of the Book of Mormon every year. I was impressed but didn't think I would do something like that right now. But.. It sat in the front of my mind and wouldn't go away. I started to think of the reasons I wasn't taking on the challenge.
I didn't have time. Well each day I somehow have time to check social media and the Internet, so I must have some extra time somewhere.
Afraid I wouldn't finish my goal? Yeah. I hate not finishing things. That means I didn't want to start if I didn't feel 100% committed. I was feeling a passion develop in my chest for this goal and knew I would be committed.
What about Matt? I needed Matt's support. Reading 18 pages a day would definitely impact a little bit of mine and Matt's time at the end of the day. He was all for it.
So, with no more excuses I just dove in. And at a perfect time. Thanksgiving. I had just been talking about how thankful I am for the Book of Mormon and knew a great way to show my gratitude for it would be to read it. Off I went starting in 1 Nephi and then I realized my 30 day reading schedule would have me finish the week of Christmas.
I expected from the beginning to be touched by Jesus Christ's influence on the lives of those in the ancient Americas. I definitely was. But something happened that I didn't expect.
The Book of Mormon prophets that I have read about my whole life actually started to come to life. I saw them as real people. People who had real challenges. And had to exercise real faith to find peace and happiness.
I realized that Nephi was seriously smart and detail oriented. His family wasn't perfect, but he never stopped loving or forgiving them.
And Alma the younger and the sons of Mosiah were so united in their purpose of sharing the gospel. Those guys were brave, bold, and so concerned with the salvation of the Lamanites that they did something unheard of. They left their lofty status in society and comfortable life and went among the Lamanites and offered to be mere servants in effort to bring them to a knowledge of their Savior. They had so much love in their hearts.
I could go on and on. King Lamoni, Amulek, Heleman, Moroni, they are all completely amazing.
The Book of Mormon is an account of people who had to repent, who had to learn how to deal with their weaknesses to become strong, and most importantly, had to rely on our Savior for strength. Even though those men lived long ago, we really are more similar to them than I ever thought.
I also was continuously impressed with how merciful God is and has always been. Society has changed tremendously is the last 100 years and I'm sure it will continue to change in what is known as acceptable, proper, and right. But God is God. His laws have not changed. The Book of Mormon is full of people who forget God and his laws and try to make their way His way. Of course that doesn't make them happy and then they return to him, and guess what? He is there. Waiting with loving arms for them to turn to him. And he blesses them. Not just with spiritual blessings, but with temporal blessings as well. God is merciful and he loves us. His mercy truly extends to all that turn to Jesus Christ as their Savior with a humble heart and repent. The Book of Mormon is proof of that. He wants us to obey his laws so that he can bless us. It's that simple.
It was funny, at the beginning of this experience I told myself if I could just get through Alma, I could accomplish this goal. I can't even count the number of times I had started from the beginning only to get lost in Alma and lose my momentum of reading everyday. For some reason the chapters focused on war never really held my interest. This time, it was totally different. I was completely enthralled. In the midst of the war chapters of Alma I couldn't put the book down even after I had read my pages for the day. I have never been so intrigued by the war chapters as I was this time. I realized that God cares so much about our individual lives. If we are at war, he can help us defeat our enemy. If we are struggling in any way, he can and wants to help us come out victorious.
And then in the midst of war, persecutions, strife, with only a select few believing the words of prophets that Christ will come, the prophecies are fulfilled and He does come. He comes and establishes his church in the ancient Americas, just as he did in Jeruselem.
In the Bible Christ told the people in Jeruselem, 'Other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring and they shall hear my voice...' (John 10:16) Those 'other sheep' are those who were in the ancient Americas.
It is so beautiful and powerful to read of Christ's short ministry among these people. It's found 3 Nephi from chapter 11 onwards through the end of 3 Nephi. It is my favorite section of the whole book.
Obviously I am a little bit passionate about the Book of Mormon. It has taught me how to be happy and where to look for peace and comfort in times of trial. Right now I am so happy. Matt and I are so happy in our marriage and in our family. I'm not saying this to boast, but rather to give hope. If you are not happy right now, the Book of Mormon teaches how to achieve happiness in this life, and more importantly in the life after we die.
At the end of the Book of Mormon, there is a promise that if you read it with a sincere heart and ask God if it is true, he will manifest the truth of it unto you. I have read it. I have asked God with a sincere heart and I have received a witness through the most wonderful feelings of peace and happiness that it is a true book.
If you are interested in reading the Book of Mormon, you can be sent a free copy from http://mormon.org/free-book-of-mormon or you can read it online.
No comments:
Post a Comment