Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Wrong Side of the Bed

I've been a little MIA recently. It's seems we have jumped head first into summer (which I love) and life has been a little crazy around here. 

Lots of wonderful life memories have been created the last few weeks that I want to share (Erica's visit, Memorial Day, etc.) but not today. This morning I had one of those moments that made me think, I need to blog about this. If for nothing else, for when I have two kids and am going slightly insane with the chaos. 

My sister and her husband are in Guatemala this week and we have been watching my nephew Ethan. It's been great and we have had a lot of fun, but there have certainly been moments where our patience has been tested and we have literally had to hold our breath and count to ten. Two little toddlers can be a handful. This morning I woke up probably on the wrong side of the bed. I did not feel refreshed and dreaded the day ahead of me. It sounds awful and I feel bad saying it, but it's true. These two little boys love each other or completely frustrate each other and they are not old enough to know how to deal with that frustration. That results in lots of tears from both of them and I knew I was in for another day of diffusing disagreements today. 

I was not feeling up to being super mom this morning and so we just had bowls of lucky charms and toast for breakfast. And then before I even had time to pour my bowl it started. The 'MINE!' and 'NO!' and the tears from both boys. I counted to ten, once again, and knew breakfast was over.  

It was definitely time for some morning cartoons. With one boy laying on my chest and the other in the crook of my arm, Doc McStuffins never brought me more happiness. It allowed me a few uninterrupted minutes to read a chapter from the Book of Mormon on my phone. I'll be honest, I don't remember one thing I read but I could feel my tension leaving and my eternal perspective returning. When I looked down at the two little boys cuddling up next to me, I didn't see dread for the day but I felt how much I loved them and how they actually are really good boys. 

Then I checked Facebook and saw this video my sister shared.

I couldn't help but laugh the whole way through. Laughing is good for the tired moms soul.

And then my little boy closed his eyes and started dosing off for his morning nap. As I carried him upstairs I was struck with the feeling that being a mom is the most important thing I could be doing in my life right now. 

(I must have no shame since I'm posting a pic in my pjs with morning hair...I'm a believer that some of the most unpolished moments of motherhood are sometimes some of the most beautiful.)

I am hoping that when we have two kids of our own it will be slightly less overwhelming then caring these two toddlers, 11 months apart, who are both currently only children and are extremely jealous of each other. Who knows, maybe I'm in for more chaos, but I'll just face that when it comes. Right now, today, I'm just doing my best to keep that eternal perspective. 

4 comments:

  1. I loved that post! There are totally moments with only one kid that I feel totally over my head and overwhelmed. And I also like unpolished photo's of my life. For some reason, it jogs my memory more than the holding still, smiling photo's. You're an awesome mama and Aunt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the message that you shared and I can totally relate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a blessing! I'm sure there where plenty of rough moments last week! Yesterday Ethan had one trantrum after another and I couldn't help but think you are a saint for watching him for the week! Love the video - hilarious!! I turned it on while we were eating breakfast and Ethan immediately said "Megan watches this" haha he sure loves his Aunt Megan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so sweet and literally brought tears to my eyes. The picture is perfect and you can tell how much that sweet Blake loves his mom no matter what you look like. What a great reminder of our wonderful and eternal roles as mothers. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete