Friday, October 5, 2012

Wined & Dined {without the wine of course..}

The past couple weeks have been very busy for Matt and me. We are just coming out of the stressful interview season for hopeful public accounting professionals at BYU. It all started back at the beginning of the semester when Matt applied for internships with each of the ‘Big 4’ accounting firms in Chicago.

At first we were nervous about Matt getting invited to the first round of interviews. However, we shouldn’t have been nervous at all because he was asked to interview with each firm he applied for. This is where the fun begins…at least for me. Each of the firms (Deloitte, PWC, Ernst & Young, and KMPG) have pre-interview events where the interview candidates get to bring their spouse and enjoy a fancy dinner meeting the accounting professionals that will interview them the next day. Although we had a crazy week with dinners every night last week, I thoroughly enjoyed meeting the professionals Matt may be working with one day and seeing the differences between the four firms.

Yesterday, however, was a day of much anticipation for us! BYU has certain rules with the firms that recruit their students and so none of the firms were able to contact us until noon yesterday. At 12:01, Matt’s email began to fill up with messages and his phone began to ring. I should not say to our surprise (because I have full confidence in my talented husband), but we were very thrilled that each of the 4 firms reached out to Matt and they will each be flying him out to Chicago for a second round of interviews.

To top things off on an already very exciting day from us, he also received a special email from E&Y inviting us to a dinner at Chef’s Table that night. It was a perfect way to celebrate all of Matt’s hard work these last couple years!

I should explain, these internships are not the typical ‘just get experience internships.’ They very commonly lead to a full time offer the following year, which is why these last couple weeks have been so important to us. In most cases, if a student gets an offer for an internship one of the ‘Big 4’ firms and then doesn’t do anything completely stupid on their internship, they will receive a job offer without going through an interview process again. These interviews really are it.   

I am so proud of Matt and he is looking forward to spending the next couple weekends in Chicago with each of the firms. Maybe I will even get lucky and be able to go on one of his trips with him in the next couple weeks! However, we are college students on a budget after all and it may come down to that or my nursery furniture. I may just wish Matt luck and then order my furniture. 

3 comments:

  1. wow! that's huge! how exciting! you guys are so great! living the dream is an understatement! good luck to matt with his interviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on that! That's such a big deal! I dunno whether you remember me, but I lived in Shanghai at the same time you guys did (last name was Belnap).

    My brother, Andrew, interned with E&Y and PWC and got offers from at least those two. The summer he was getting married he did an internship at PWC's office in NYC and ended up working a bunch of 90 hour weeks. It wasn't a huge deal since he was still mostly single and there all by himself (although he did get really sick - even enough to go to the hospital for a day - and of course just had to work through it to keep the option of an offer with them), but he has since taken a job with Grant Thornton. It's a little smaller and therefore a little more family friendly. Just something to think about when the job offers roll in! Congrats again =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do remember you Christine. Thanks for the comment and advice. Yes, public accounting, especially with the one of the Big 4 certainly is LONG working hours. However, compared to my sister Robyn's husband who is doing investment banking who works sometimes 120 hours a week, it's not looking TOO bad. :) I'm hoping to make some good friends in Chicago so that I can stay sane!!

      Delete