Monday, November 14, 2011

Relief Off My Shoulders

Something to know about me: I hate presenting in front of others.  
It seriously makes me so nervous.  This semester has been a good one for me, but also a trying one that has quite literally forced me to grow in so many ways.  There have been days that I didn't know how I would get through them and I have offered countless prayers to heaven above for strength, patience, and endurance.  I thank my Heavenly Father for always coming to my rescue and helping me get through what seems so hard and nerve-racking.  However, I think he is trying to send the message that I need to get over my fear of presenting.  In the past two weeks I have done 4 in class presentations, sang at the stake leadership training, and conducted our ward's primary presentation*. 

Don't ask me why, but every day I wake up knowing I have some sort of presentation that day I get the jitters.  Like I literally shake I am so nervous.  And as the time draws closer to my presentation, I get even more nervous.  This may seem silly because I have spent much of my growing up life presenting in musicals and the such, but the nerves NEVER disappoint.  They are ALWAYS there.  

However, I am learning what helps me be as relaxed and confident as I can.

Here is my little routine:
  • I smile.  I try to think about how 'FUN' the presentation will be.  Before I start speaking/singing I have learned to take a moment and smile.  It always seems to make things go better. 
  • I offer many many prayers.  I pray for confidence and peace. 
  • I prepare myself as best as I can.  Presentations are ALWAYS better when you know what you want to say and how you will say it.  
  • I give myself a confidence 'pep talk'
  • When all else fails I offer even more prayers, take a big deep breathe, and then just go for it with faith knowing I will do the best I can. 
 I am always looking to add to my list of things to calm me in the most nerve-racking moments, so if you have any that work for you, please do share!!

I think I will forever remain truth to the fact that the best part of a presentation is having it completed! There is no better feeling in the world knowing you have accomplished a task (and that you don't have to dread it tomorrow).  

For the time being my shoulders are all relieved of future presentations.  I am sure I will have more in the near future (finals are just around the corner), but I have none to think about today and for that I am so very grateful!

*Note about Primary Presentation: I had nightmares that the kids would forget all the words I had taught them all year long and no one would sing!! Luckily, they sang beautifully and I couldn't have been more proud of our primary.  I love those kids!


      

1 comment:

  1. Good post Megan. The Primary program was wonderful! The kids really knew the songs and sang so well. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete