Exactly a week ago today I was laying in the delivery room of the hospital giving birth to my sweet little boy. I have learned so much this past week, but before I get into any of that, here's his birth story.
Monday morning I was nervous for my doctors appointment later in the day. The week previous I had high blood pressure for the first time which rose some concern, but I didn't have protein in my urine so they sent me home. However, I knew that if my blood pressure was high again that they would take it more seriously this week.
Because I was nervous I didn't sleep well the night before and I did have much of an appetite. I ate half an egg sandwich for breakfast and two small zucchini muffins, an apple, and an orange for lunch. This all affects me later. But I went along with my morning as usual. Well, I didn't go on my typical morning walk with my parents because I didn't sleep well. But I got up, showered, and went to work.
Matt had class during my doctors appointment at 1:30 so my mom and sister Haley were kind enough to come with me.
When we arrived at the doctors office I really had to use the bathroom but had been holding it in case they needed a urine sample. So they took me back immediately to take my blood pressure and see if they would need a sample. Sure enough my blood pressure was high (I think the nurse said it was 150/90) so they had me do the sample and then wait for the doctor.
When I heard my blood pressure was high I did get a little excited as I knew that meant I may have more leverage in convincing my doctor to induce me. You see, although my due date wasn't until the 24th of January, my parents were leaving on a cruise on the 18th and would be gone for 10 days. I really wanted my mom around as I went into labor.
So the doctor came in and acted like nothing was a concern. He said my sample came back perfectly normal. I had absolutely no protein. I asked him about being induced and he said they really wouldn't induce anyone before 39 weeks unless it was completely necessary. So I was a little bummed but asked if he would strip my membranes and he was very happy to do that for me. I was scared it would be painful, but it really didn't hurt at all. We then listened to the heart beat and that was that. I thought the appointment was over. At the end, he mentioned very casually, well Megan we are going to send you down to Labor and Delivery just to be monitored for an hour. He said that typically when they send moms down their blood pressure drops pretty quickly and they are sent home. Anyways, he didn't make it sound like I was a concern at all.
My mom and I walked down across the hospital to Labor and Delivery, hoping if nothing else we would get my labor going since my membranes had been stripped. No such luck. We get to Labor and Delivery and they get me hooked up to monitors right away. They did a non-stress test and everything looked great with the baby, which was wonderful. However, every 10-15 minutes my blood pressure would run and it just kept getting higher and higher. I don't know blood pressures very well, but it got up to 170/110 which the nurse was very concerned about. She also did some blood tests. The blood otests all came back normal.
After an hour she sent my results to the on call doctor from the group of doctors I go to. He said that they would admit me and keep me under observation for 24 hours. She said it was likely they would then send me home with a prescription that would lower my blood pressure for a week. I was totally bummed, but grateful they were taking care of my blood pressure. My mom still had homes that my water would break or that I would go into labor during those 24 hours of observation.
Only a few minutes later the nurse came back and apologized. She didn't know, but the doctor I saw earlier that day requested the results come straight to him. When she gave him the results he ordered that they get me hooked up to petocin and induce me that night. My mom, Haley, and I were so happy. I had to remind them though to not be TOO happy because my blood pressure was dangerous.
Of course we had been giving Matt updates the whole time, but I wanted him to focus on his homework at school as long as he could. When they said they were going to induce me, I called Matt and excitedly told him it was time to come.
Oh I should mention that before they started the petocin I was dilated to a 2 and 75% effaced. When Matt arrived they started the petocin and magnesium. The magnesium helped with my blood pressure and made me very lethargic. Because I needed the magnesium, they needed to put a catheter in right away to monitor everything that came out of me. My doctor recommended they do the epidural at that time as well. I was very happy to hear that!! So before I really experienced any hard labor contractions, the epidural was in and I was a happy, soon-to-be mommy.
I had spent 9 months terrified for the epidural. But I was so happily surprised! It honestly didn't hurt at all! Getting the IV put in my arm hurt SO much worse!!!
So this was all happening about 5-6 pm on Monday night. It was a slow labor process from there. Remember I didn't eat much before coming to my doctors appointment and they wouldn't let me eat anything once I was at the hospital so I was starving. Also, I was sooo incredibly thirsty! I was so thirsty the whole night I was laboring. I really went to town on the ice chips. I literally went though probably 10 cups of ice chips. I cheated a little bit because I would let them melt a little bit and then suck up any little sip I could get. Once I accidentally spilled my cup and cried a little bit because my sip had been wasted!!
My dad, sisters, and brother came to visit me and took my mom and Haley to get dinner and pick up something for Matt. Then when my mom and Haley came back I asked if they wanted to stay for the delivery and of course they were really excited and wanted to! I was so grateful to have their support as well as Matt's.
At about 11:00 I was dilated to a 4. The doctor came in and broke my water at that time.
At 2:00 I wasn't progressing that fast. I was dilated to a 6 and the nurse turned up the petocin.
By 4:30 I finally had progressed to a 9 and by 5:30 I was dilated to a 10. The doctor came in and gave the OK for me to start pushing.
During the night I did throw up probably 5 times. Every time the doctor had me turn from my side to my back I threw up. My mom was so great to help me during those times. (Matt isn't that good with throw-up)
So I started pushing and after the first set of pushes was completely exhausted!!! Not only had I not slept during the night, but the magnesium really had wiped me out. Well the pushing went on for an hour and a half. The nurse kept telling me I was doing great, but then the doctor came in and asked how I was doing and she told him I hadn't really made any progress in the last half hour. I was devastated I truly had no more energy left in me. I didn't know if it was possible for me to get this boy out!!
The doctor mentioned that if I still wasn't making progress in 30-45 minutes we may want to consider the forceps. When he mentioned we could get the baby out in 5-10 minutes with them I told him we should just go ahead with them now because I didn't have any energy left. He agreed and within 10 minutes our beautiful baby boy, Blake Matthew Jensen, named after his daddy, Matthew Blake Jensen was born at 7:07 am on Tuesday, January 15th. He weighed 8 lbs 5.5 oz and was 20.5 in long.
It was so amazing and surreal to have him in my arms. Even though it was less than a week ago, it all feels like it was just a dream and the stork brought this beautiful baby boy into our lives.







What a beautiful little man. Congrats Megan.
ReplyDeleteI love my nephew already! I can't wait to meet Blake. He is adorable and y'all look so happy :)
ReplyDeleteLoved reading this! So happy for you guys-you all look amazing!
ReplyDeleteI loved this post, even though I already had heard the story. Blake is so adorable and I can't wait to meet him!
ReplyDelete