Thursday, June 27, 2013

Fish Out of Water

Two days ago Matt and I moved to our second apartment for the summer. We knew we were going to be switching housing part way through, but I didn't realize how hard it would be to move 10
min away. 

Point being: I really hate moving and don't do well with change. 

Here's the thing, for someone who hates moving so much, I sure have had more practice than most. Although it doesn't get easier, I have learned some tricks to help me adjust faster. 

First off, unpack right away. Staring at suitcases or trying to live out of them is depressing. 

Second of all, cook something that totally warms your heart. For me, that is always German pancakes. 

Next, get a good nights sleep. Everything always seems better in the morning. 

Lastly, wake up and get out of the house! Explore your new area and find something that will make you smile. 

But this time around we ran into a few problems in the moving process. It was POURING rain as we were trying to carry our bags into our new place. We couldn't find parking on the street so we parked a few blocks away. Blake was so incredibly tired and ready for bed. And on this 95 degree, rainy, humid day we discovered our new place doesn't have central air or any AC unit. (We have since learned this is common in Chicago and we had been spoiled before.) Anyways, both Matt and I were feeling anxious and unsettled in this new home. We really felt like fish out of water and I just wanted to cry. Okay, I maybe cried for just a few minutes when my sister called and asked how I was doing. 

But then, I remembered that I had done this many times before. It always feels unsettling in a new place for the first day or so. I knew I just had to unpack and do the things that would bring me comfort. First things first, we sent Matt to go get a portable AC unit for our bedroom. With some cool air and a good nights sleep, things started to look better. And before I knew it, the rain stopped and the sun came out. Making our new neighborhood look a lot kinder. 

This morning I forced myself out of the house on a jog with Blake and this is what we came across just two blocks away. 



Lets just say it totally made me smile. Rogers Park, maybe we can be friends after all. 


2 comments:

  1. I totally get what you are going through. We just moved a couple weeks ago and will be moving again in a month. Its really hard to get settled in! Thanks for reminding me to be positive :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've done an awesome job being positive considering all that you've had to do this summer... with a newborn baby! Sad you're not next door but we'll be visiting you lots up there!

    ReplyDelete