Friday, February 14, 2014

Bitter Sweet

Valentines Day will always be bitter sweet for me. So sweet because I'm married to the love of my life (really the love of my all eternity), we have the most beautiful boy who makes me smile every day, and I am blessed with the most incredible parents and siblings. There is certainly an abundance of love in my life and I am so grateful. 

However, this day brings back some sad feelings because it's the day my grandpa passed away two years ago. Once again though, there is still sweetness felt even when I think of that. I know where my grandpa is and I know that I (and my dad, my grandma, and all my other family members) will see him again. That is the beautiful peace and knowledge that comes from the gospel of Jesus Christ. But that doesn't stop me from missing him. Like I said, very bitter sweet. 

Since my thoughts have been on my grandpa today and this week, I thought I would share a few of my favorite things and memories. 

-I loved riding out to the feedlot and 'helping' him feed the cows. 

-I cherish the summer my parents sent Devin and I up to spend a week with my grandparents on their farm. They took us camping, stayed up and chatted with us at night, and really cared about what was going on in our lives. I think I was only about 14.

-When I moved home from Australia at 17 to go to college and was very homesick for my family, I remember spending many weekends up in Smithfield with grandma and grandpa. Looking back I'm so grateful I had that time in my life to have the freedom to travel on the weekends. They were always so happy to have me. They were my comfort when I was so far from my parents.

-I remember one night I convinced my grandpa to put on all of his sports rings. He won many championships throughout his life so he had one for almost every finger! 

-My whole life I have thought it was so cool that my grandpas picture is hanging in the Energy Solutions Arena in the Utah Sports Hall of Fame. I'm not super athletic, but any ounce of athleticism I have I credit to him.

-I loved my grandpas laugh. He loved to tell us stories from his life. When I think about it I can still see him sitting in his big blue comfy chair, talking about the dog that peed in his hand, with his great laugh ringing out. 

-I will forever be grateful that he was at my wedding. I remember seeing him (and the rest of my grandparents) and my parents in the temple and realizing what an amazing heritage I have been given.

My grandpa really loved his grandkids. I loved knowing he was proud of me. I really do miss him and know that I will see him and laugh with him again someday. 









I love you grandpa. Thanks for loving me!

2 comments:

  1. What a great post! He was an amazing man who left us a lot to live up to. I miss his stories and laugh too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I miss my Dad every day.

    ReplyDelete