Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Dreaded RSV

If we are friends on Facebook or if you follow me on Instagram it's probably no surprise for you to hear that our little Blake has struggled with RSV over the past 10 days. Has it really been 10 days? It really just feels like a blur...

Last Friday Blake started to seem a bit congested. Matt and I had recently both had colds so it didn't take us by surprise.

On Saturday morning he woke up with a nasty sounding cough. I called the nurse and she told me he was just fine as long as he wasn't struggling too hard to breathe. He was breathing just fine so I didn't worry too much.

Sunday morning he seemed worse. I decided not even to sneak in late and leave early to sacrament meeting but to stay home with him. My parents and Matt thought I was overreacting because he really did look fine, but I could feel he was getting worse. My mom held him that afternoon and could tell I was right. She encouraged us to take him to the doctor that evening.

I called after hours care right away and made an appointment for just a few hours later. When we took him in his oxygen level was a 94 and the nurse and doctor were not too concerned but decided to do an RSV test because we came in. Sure enough, it was positive. My heart sunk when the doctor told us he had RSV. I had heard of so many horror stories and did not want that to happen to my son! But I held it together and asked what we were supposed to do. The doctor said that all we could do is go home and watch him closely. "If his lips turn blue or he stops breathing, take him to the hospital," he said. Really?? How comforting. I left the doctors office really frustrated. I just wanted something I could do to help my boy get better!

That evening we came home and I researched everything I could on RSV, its pretty much a cold. But because babies are nose breathers and they can't blow their noses, it creates quite the problem. I also researched which essential oils could help. I started putting diluted breathe on Blake's chest, Melissa and on guard on his feet, and frankincense and lemon on his back. Although we still ended up in the hospital, I really think these oils helped him breathe through those first couple nights and helped him not get as bad as he could have gotten. All the doctors mentioned that he looked great, even when we were in the hospital.

That evening my dad and Matt gave Blake a priesthood blessing. It was so tender to hold my son while my husband and Dad blessed him. I felt so much peace come into my heart and our home. I am so grateful for priesthood blessings.

On Monday my cousin Amber called me out of the blue just because she had been thinking of me. I told her Blake had RSV and she proceeded to tell me about how her daughter Kennedy had RSV a few yets back. She told me how important it was to get Blake's oxygen levels checked every 24 hours. Had she not told us this, I don't think I would have known when to take Blake back to the doctors or to the hospital. I'm scared to think how long I would have waited... I know this was Heavenly Father looking out for us.

So I took Blake in to the doctors on Monday. His oxygen level was a 95, even better than the day before! And the doctor once again said his chest didn't sound that bad. He didn't seem one bit concerned. So after 101 questions from me and Matt, we left again with the advice to take him to the hospital if he stopped breathing. Lovely advice I tell you. Well I made another appointment for the next day and we went home.

Tuesday morning I knew he had gotten a little bit worse. I called my mom but she advised me to wait until our 2:30 appointment. She came over and held Blake so that I could shower and have lunch. Something that in hindsight made the rest of the day much easier.

When we got to the doctors office the nurse tested his oxygen level while he was in his carseat. It read 84. I looked at the nurse in a panic and asked if that was really his oxygen level. She very calmly said sometimes it doesn't read right the first time and that I should put him on the table. She then tested it again and it read 88. I knew something wasn't right. She very calmly said, "I'll be right back." Then in walked a nurse with an oxygen tank. She picked Blake up and moved him around and his level came up the 90. Then the doctor walked in, saw the oxygen level, and said to me, "we are going to send you to the hospital right away." This is a really scary thing for a new mom to hear. Matt was at class so I was all alone with Blake. I kept a silent prayer in my heart that Ii could hold it together until I got in the car. Once in the car I cried all the way to the hospital. I was so scarred for my little boy! Once we arrived at the hospital, I said another prayer for strength and took my little boy in.

The nurse was waiting for us in the pediatric unit and they hooked him up to oxygen right away. From then on we spent our days watching his oxygen levels fluctuate and having Blake suctioned out. finally on Friday Blake was able to maintain good oxygen levels without the oxygen.

Saturday when the doctor checked him he said he was well enough to go home! It was so wonderful to hear that.

Sunday I was a little paranoid because I wasn't able to suction much out on my own, so we took him to the suctioning clinic. I was nervous to see his oxygen levels but he was a 95! And the respiratory specialist couldn't suction too much out either. So he really is getting better!

Now we are back into our normal life routine but this mama is even more paranoid with who Blake comes in contact with. If you are sick, please, please stay away. When I ask you to wash your hands before you touch my baby, please don't be offended. And if we don't leave the house for a while, don't think we are crazy. We have been through a lot and I just want Blake to be able to get better without any hiccups in the road.

Thank you to all our wonderful friends and family who have said prayers in our behalf. We have felt of their comfort and strength.

And to all those other new mama's out there, RSV is so very contagious. Watch your little one carefully and don't think twice about calling the doctor if they come down with congestion or a cough. And you have every right to be paranoid too. Don't be afraid to ask people to wash their hands. Gosh, I don't know why it feels offensive to do so!

Here are some pictures of our hospital stay. We didn't have a ton to do so I got a little picture happy.











1 comment:

  1. well...this worries me. London has congestion. Its pretty bad in the morning but then we seem to get it all out and she's fine the rest of the day. Stephen is congested too. I hope its just a cold. I'm glad you wrote this though, so I know a bit better what to do. I'm sorry you had to go through that, there's nothing scarier than your baby being sick!!

    ReplyDelete