Sunday, October 16, 2011

A Week of Celebrations

We had a couple big events in our little family this past week.

The first big event was Matt's birthday on the 13th and then we celebrated our 1 year anniversary on the 15th!  The week we got married last year Matt said we would never really celebrate his birthday because we would always be celebrating our anniversary.  I was adamant to show him that we can celebrate both!  We certainly have had a fun (busy) week of celebrations! 

Early in the week I was on the phone with my dear husband as he was driving somewhere.  Now before I go any further, you need to know that Matt HATES banners.  When he got off his mission he wrote home just before he got released and told his parents they were not allowed to bring ANY balloons or banners to the airport to greet him.  He just hates bringing that attention to himself and thinks it is slightly ridiculous.  Anyways, back to our phone conversation.  I told him I had plans to make him a huge birthday banner- just to get a reaction out of him.  When the reaction came of, "No Meg, seriously don't do that", I had a stoke of genius and knew I HAD to make him a banner this year.

Thanks to pinterest and this lovely printable banner here, I was able to make a cute boyish birthday banner in no time at all!  Seriously, I probably had it from start to finish in 30 minutes, which is a must for any crafts that want to be accomplished in my life.  I was so happy with it that I put it up a couple days before Matt's birthday.  When he came home that night, he didn't notice it at first.  So I asked him if he would take out the trash, because I knew he would notice it then.  Just as he went to slide the door he looked up and said, "Ugh, MEG!"  Deep down I knew he really really LOVED it!


Now on to Matt's birthday day.  We celebrated in the morning over a delicious breakfast of eggs, hash browns, and toast.  Then after he got home from school and I got home from work, I made Matt one of his favorite dinners.  We had meat loaf, mashed potatoes, and broccoli.  I even put a table cloth on our little table and we ate sitting at the table.  This really means it is a special occasion because we typically just eat up to the bar.

Then I had all the plans in the world to make a fantastic double layer chocolate cake.  But with a busy week of school and work, it wasn't happening.  My absolutely wonderful, life-saver of a mom bought us a couple chocolate cakes from Maglebys.  It really was a tender mercy because the thought of making a cake was seriously stressing me out.  Not because I don't like making cake, but because I didn't see how on earth I was going to have time to pull that off.

That evening Matt's family came over to celebrate his birthday with us over cake and ice cream.  While they were here with us, we had the cardinals game on and cheered them on to another win.  Matt is an avid St. Louis Cardinals fan.  Seeing them win was a perfect end to his birthday.


Now that the details of his birthday are covered, because It's my blog I just have to share a couple thoughts for a minute.

I have never been more grateful for someone's birth.  Celebrating his birthday was such an exciting thing for me because I really am so grateful that he was born 24 years ago.  He is such an incredible human being.  Not just because he loves me and treats me so well, but because he is so honest, kind, patient, and virtuous.  He is such a wonderful example to me and I love him for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment