Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

This morning I wanted to try something different and delicious. For some reason I was thinking about the boxed lemon poppy seed muffins with a tangy glaze that my dad would make when we lived in China. Once I started thinking about them I couldn't stop! I went straight to Pinterest and clicked on the most delicious picture of lemon poppy seed muffins I could find. But then I realized I didn't have lemons. I don't know what I was thinking. Anyways, I pulled out my lemon essential oil and used that in the batter and glaze and it turned out so well, I had to share! 

It was a little guess work trying to get the right amount of lemon. When experimenting with essential oils in cooking I reccomend just doing a drop at a time and using smell/taste to get the flavor right.

Here is the recipe I used, with my essential oil modifications included. The original recipe was from: lilluna.com

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 4 drops Lemon Essential Oil
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp. poppy seeds
Glaze:
  • 1 TB melted butter
  • 2-3 TB milk
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 4 drops Lemon Essential Oil
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda in a medium bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together sour cream, buttermilk and lemon essential oil. Set aside.
  4. In a large bowl beat sugar and 1 stick of butter. Add eggs and beat until fluffy. Add dry ingredients (from step 2). Add sour cream mixture, and mix until well combined.
  5. Stir in poppy seeds.
  6. Add liners to muffin pan and spoon mixture into each liner. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool.
  7. For glaze, mix together melted tsp. of butter, milk, lemon essential oil and powdered sugar. Spread over muffins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment