Thursday, October 24, 2013

Doing Hard Things

Pregnancy impacts everyone in different ways, but one thing is petty universal... weight gain. Everyone told me, you gain the weight over 9 months so give yourself at least 9 months to get it off. 

Of course I love everything about being a mom, but it can be tough emotionally to carry extra weight and struggle to get it off. 

When Blake was 7 months I still had a good 5 lbs to go to my pre-pregnancy weight and I wasn't exactly thrilled with my pre-pregnancy weight. I had struggled all summer with terrible sugar cravings and just didn't have enough motivation to exercise like I needed to. So when we returned from Chicago I set a goal to lose 10 lbs by the time Blake turned 9 months. 

To be honest, I was scared to tell anyone about this goal. I was scared to vocalize it because I didn't know if it was even possible and I didn't want to fail. I'm still nursing and have to keep a decent amount of calories in order to maintain my milk plus I really have never had success losing weight before. 10 lbs sounded like so much. 

My weight loss efforts gained momentum when Matt trained with me for a sprint triathalon in late August. From there I just kept upping my mileage and started training for a half-marathon that I completed with my sisters last Saturday. Throughout the last two months I ran about 18-28 miles a week, did Jillian Michaels 30 day shred a few days a week, and swam every once in a while just to mix it up. 

I also reduced my chocolate intake and replaced it with apples and peanut butter.   I started taking doTERRA's LifeLong Vitality supplements and Slim & Sassy metobolic blend. The Slim & Sassy helped me control my afternoon cravings. In no way was my diet perfect, but it was definitely an improvement. 

Every week I was astonished as the scale started showing lower and lower numbers. I always thought I was just getting lucky. And some days I would get discouraged. The scale would go back up, even though my efforts continued, but I learned that fluctuations are normal. 

After I competed my half-marathon I came home and weighed myself. I was shocked to see my goal weight staring back at me. 

I think this picture shows a little bit of my journey. On the left I am standing next to my sister who was 7 months pregnant at the time. I was visiting her in Texas in July. The picture on the right was taken just this last week on mine and Matt's anniversary. 


I have read many fellow blogging friends weight loss stories and have been inspired and motivated. So I thought I would add mine to the blogging world. If you are struggling with weight loss, you can do it! 

And more importantly than losing weight, I have become more disciplined in my life and have a new found confidence that I can do hard things!

No comments:

Post a Comment