Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Apple, Ham, and Cheese

I am a huge fan of many food blogs and love to eat and cook good food that isn't too complicated. In no way am I trying to be a food blogger, but this lunch sandwich was too good to keep to myself. 

When I was a freshman in college, my older sister and I would meet up each week for lunch. Our favorite place to go was the MOA cafe. We loved their turkey harvest sandwich. Okay, their chocolate cake was also a serious favorite...that may have been a reason for a few extra lbs in college. Anyways, the turkey harvest was such a strange, addicting combination of turkey, provolone, crisp apples, and orange-cinnamon cream cheese spread on a croissant. 

That sandwich inspired me to put a few odd ingredients together to make the most delicious, and perfectly fall appropriate toasted sandwich.

I used my favorite wheat bread from costco, but any bread would do. Spread cinnamon honey butter on each piece, top with a slice of creamy havarti cheese, a thin slice of deli ham, and two rows of very thinly cut gala apples. Butter the outsides of the bread with normal butter and then grill to toast the outside of the bread and melt the cheese.


The sweet cinnamon honey butter totally compliments the ham, while the apples provide an exciting texture, and the creamy cheese adds a savory element that makes this sandwich totally acceptable for lunch. 

Not only does it take less than 5 minutes from start to finish, it totally tastes like you just went to a fancy cafe and ordered lunch. 


In fact, after Blake and I gobbled down our sandwiches, I made an extra to take to my mom. She was a little hesitant at first when I told her about the cinnamon honey butter and apples, but after her first bite she was sold. She loved it!



4 comments: