Sunday, April 28, 2013

First Thought of the Day

Blake has been getting into a sleep routine where he goes to bed between 8 and 8:30, wakes at 2:00 for a feeding and then again at 4:00 and then is up for the day at 6:00. Some mothers get their baby to sleep longer but I really can't complain. I love that he falls asleep so easily at night and back to sleep in the middle of the night.

However, I'm not going to lie. I'm exhausted at 6:00. My first thought is to usually nudge Matt to try to get him to go get up with Blake. There are a lot of mornings when he happily gets Blake and lets me sleep in a bit. But Matt's favorite time of the day is the morning. He loves laying in bed and waking up slowly. Not exactly Blake's style- when he is up, he's up!

Usually when Matt doesn't read my mind and go to Blake's rescue I start to feel a little mad. After all, I had woken up in the night with him and I felt I was rightly tired and it was his turn! And then we both end up getting up and we don't have the best morning until we apologize and move on. Which always happens, it's never a big deal for long.

But this morning at 6:03 when Blake let us know he was awake a quote from the recent general conference popped into my head. "What e'er thou art, act well thy part." Dang it, I thought! I am Blake's mother and Matt's wife. I should get out of bed gracefully and happily and greet my dear boy with a smile and welcome him to this new day. I should happily, not begrudgingly let Matt sleep in. Because in reality, he hasn't slept in for a really long time! So, that's exactly what I did. Despite my tired state, it was mind over matter I figured.

And guess what? It made all the difference. We had a wonderful morning and enjoyed some yummy, hot muffins before our 9:00 church.

Lesson learned. What e'er thou art, act well thy part. What is your part? Are you acting your part happily or begrudgingly? I promise it makes a huge difference when you 'act well your part.'

1 comment: