Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Getting My Body Back

Towards the end of my pregnancy Matt and I would reference things about when I get my body back. Here I sit, 4 months after having Blake and I still feel like I am waiting to get my body back. 

I know my body truly won't be the same again, but I'm doing myself no favor right now. I really need to cut out the crap. And by crap I mean chocolate. I think I'm seriously addicted. And it's standing in the way between me and my 'old' body. 

I'm not here for sympathy. I feel like talking about this in the blog world will help motivate me and make me feel more accountable. So let me share my lovely pregnancy weight gain story with you. 

I gained a grand total of 43 lbs in my pregnancy. Just so you know, this put me 3 lbs heavier than my husband. Never a good thing for one's self esteem. I like to say I had a lot of water weight but I really didn't eat super healthy and I only exercised some of the time. Side note: If you are pregnant, don't be afraid to do gentle, low impact exercises and don't use being pregnant as an excuse not to exercise!! I felt so much better on the days I exercised and wish I would have done more! 

I am blessed and grateful to have a wonderful set of genetics from my mama and a lot of my pregnancy weight really did just disappear in a few weeks after Blake arrived... truly by no help from me. I have CRAVED fats from the moment Blake was born and have given in to about every one of my cravings. 

So within the first 2 weeks I lost a good 30 lbs. I have to admit, I would look down at my ankles and feel anorexic!! I loved having my ankles back again! 

And then over the next two weeks I lost another 8 lbs. Once again, by no credit to me. I was feeling great. Blake was only a month old and I only had 5 lbs. to go! 

But here is my problem. Blake is now 4 months old and I still have 5 lbs. to go. 

And not only do I have 5 lbs to go, but I don't feel like my energized self. I just feel flubbery. If you have had a baby you probably know what I mean. 

Today as I was resting during one of Blake's naps I realized that if I truly want my body back, I have to work for it. 

Here are my goals. I want to shed the final 5 lbs and would love to lose an additional 5 lbs. I was at my all time high weight when I got pregnant due to a crazy senior year of college. So for me it's not enough to just get to my pre-pregnancy weight. But I realize my body may keep some of this weight as I am still nursing, so in the meantime I really want to tone up and be healthier. I want to exercise more and do exercises that truly challenge my body. I want to cut out some of the sugary/fatty foods in my diet and eat more fruits and vegetables. 

I really just want to feel more energized and like an active, cute, happy mom! 

So today I started working towards my goal. I decided my workouts need to have variety and be things that I enjoy. In addition to my morning walk with Matt and my parents and my golf lesson with my mom, I also had a 30 minute 'power' session at the local high school football stadium. I'm off to a good start I think! But I need to just buckle down and focus on these goals this summer. 

Here is to my summer of getting my body back! There is no time like the present, right? I'll keep you posted on my progress!

4 comments:

  1. Megan you are beautiful and look great!!!! I know what you mean about the flubbery body though... even when I lost my weight I still looked pregnant if I didn't suck in. Does that flab ever go away? Haha, I don't know. But you look great.

    You should have had this motivation a few weeks ago and joined us in the 8 week "Get Healthy Challenge" Leisha organized on facebook!! Coleman and I are both doing it. Basically we are eating more fruits and vegetables, and not eating after nine. We are exercising 5 days a week, and not eating sweets 5 days a week. And a few other things. But it has been fun to be more health conscious, and I feel great (on the 5 days a week I don't gorge on sweets).

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha megan....I gained 40 lbs and have 12 left. I don't know if I'll ever get rid of them. I'm addicted to chocolate too. Ice cream, oreos....if I don't have any of those I bake something. Its a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will get there! I am with Erica! You shoul do the health challenge we are doing! It to me is a very realistic challenge an way of life. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog! I know we discussed this a little bit already but I feel for ya with the cravings/hunger while breastfeeding and last few pounds. I lost all my weight really fast but then actually gained back some weight breastfeeding. So I've been about 5 lbs. heavier than usual. I blame the hunger and my body's need to store extra fat for the baby. Even once I was back to my normal workout routine the scale didn't budge much. I've heard that it's pretty typical to have trouble losing the last bit while breastfeeding. I've noticed as she's started eating more solids lately and nursing less my hunger has decreased for sure. And while I haven't weighed myself in a while, I'm pretty sure I've lost a few lbs. Anyway breastfeeding is awesome and so worth it but I think you're totally normal. Oh, and the loose skin/flabbiness does firm up with time. By about 6-9 months things are much more normal again! (Although exactly never the same of course!)

    ReplyDelete